How to pass JAMB with a very high score – 10 easy steps
For any Student looking to get admitted into a Nigerian tertiary institution, JAMB(UTME) is an obstacle that cannot be avoided. Most students aim to score has high as 300 in JAMB(UTME) but end up scoring lower because of different reasons. As a result, several students are scared of JAMB (UTME).But I assure you that there is really no reason to fear. With the incredible tips offered in this article, you can easily score has high as 300 or more without much effort. Let’s get started.
10 steps on how to pass JAMB UTME.
1)Choose a correct subject combination:
No matter what class you are in right now, you really should have your subject combination figured out. Before you can prepare for JAMB, you must know what subjects you would be writing for the exam.
It differs for different courses and universities. Here is link to subject combination for different Universities.
English is very much compulsory
P.s UTME is the exam. It means unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination. JAMB is the name of the body conducting the exam, Joint Admission and Matriculation Board.
2) Write out your target score:
• Aim high: It’s very good to aim very high. I can remember aiming for 300 and I ended up scoring 279. I only prepared for one month for my second JAMB after Unilorin broke my heart.( I don’t want to sulk about that story) Aiming high really works wonders because it challenges you to do more.
• Subject vs scores: You will need to make a list of your subject combination and the scores you want.
Let it take this format.
• Write out the Total: Doing this gives you not only a mental picture of what you want but a physical one also. I have found that writing out my aims, gives me the extra push to make them happen.
The total for the template above is 311. That’s high right? But it’s not impossible for anyone who believes.
3) Put your current self to test:
• Where you are now vs where you want to be: You will need to compare where you are currently to where you want to be. By that I mean you will need to know what your capability is when it comes to solving JAMB(UTME) questions. This helps you to know the areas where you need more work and how much energy to focus on each subject.
• Manual method or using an app: You can either choose to this by using an app or you can use the manual method. The manual method involves solving past questions of a particular year of all 4 different subjects that you offer. I will advise that you use an app or software.
Make sure you pay attention. When solving, notice the topics you didn’t know and those that seemed difficult.
• Compare target score to test score: You will need to compare your target score to your present score and the total and write down the difference. After you do this you will have an idea of what would happen if you don’t study smarter.
4) What did you notice about each subject?
Answer the following questions in your evaluation book.
• Were there topics you have never been taught?
• Did you have problems understanding the questions and answer? Yes/No
• If there were questions involving calculation, did you do? Very good, good, bad.
• Did you have any problems with English language?
• Did you do well with the theory questions?
You will need to arrange the subjects in three orders.
• Order of difficulty: you will spend more time on difficult subjects.
• Order of understanding: which ones do you find easy to understand. You will need to spend more time on the one at the bottom of the list.
• Order of favorites: You will arrange them in the order of your least favorites. Spend time on the ones you love less.
5) How to use Jamb Syllabus:
This is one of the most useful tools necessary for a very high JAMB score but most people don’t know how to use it. You will need to go through it and write out the following for each subject.
• The topics you have been taught:
a) List out the ones you understand
b) Also list out the ones you don’t.
• The ones you have not been taught:
what you will do here depends on what class you are.
a) SS1 Students : If you are currently an SS1 student, you will find that there are so many topics you don’t know. Don’t worry you will be taught later but it doesn’t mean you can’t follow the rest of the steps.
b) SS2 Students: If you are in SS2 you would notice you have been taught most of the topics. This means that you have a lot to note down. This is the time to put so much energy into preparing for UTME.
c) SS3 Students : Unless you are attending a school with quack teachers, you should almost be done with the major topics in the syllabus.
d) Done with secondary school but not yet admitted into Uni: you will also have to write down the topics you can’t remember or the ones you don’t know at all.
• With Jamb syllabus, you will know what to read and what not to read. This way you will not waste time studying the wrong things.
6) How to use your textbooks and notes to prepare:
• Notes: These are usually summaries of different textbooks made simple. If after reading your notes, you still don’t understand a particular concept, then visit your textbooks to form your own notes.
• Textbooks: Some lazy teachers skip important topics or even points in textbooks so the best thing to do is to use the textbook to create your own note. You don’t have to read everything in the textbooks, just use the syllabus.
If you notice you don’t understand a concept, ask yourself questions like, why don’t I understand? What don’t I understand? Once you realize the what is missing you can proceed towards reading more on that concept.
• Make sure that you read your notes and textbooks before attempting past questions.
7) How to use JAMB past questions the right way:
Most people advise Students to solve as much as 20 years several times as an approach to preparing for JAMB. I won’t say it’s wrong but it is definitely not as effective as the method I’m about to share with you. This method is suitable for all students whatever the class maybe.
• Read a topic or revise a topic: Since I am a science student, I will use Electrochemistry, a topic in Chemistry as an example. I will read everything about Electrochemistry and then write out my personal note.
• Solve all the questions related to that topic in the past questions: I will start from the last year in the past question and then I will map out all the questions related to the topic. After which I will start putting down important notes I come across or techniques. This method is exposes you to all the different methods JAMB uses to ask questions on a particular topic.
Repeat this method for all topics until you are done with every single one of the topics in the syllabus.
• Do a full year: after solving questions on different topics you can now do a full year. I assure you that if you followed the technique well, you will have really high scores and you will understand better.
• Doing 10-20 years and checking the answers at the end of the questions can leave you cramming answers that are not correct. Reading and solving on the other hand gives you a chance to see how much you understand and the areas where you need help.
8)How to solve JAMB calculation subjects:
• Follow the format used in the past question subtopic.
• Memorize the formula: after reading a calculation topic, write out all the formulas. Add their units, if they have units. Try to memorize the formulas. The easiest way to do that is by solving more questions.
• Proceed to using the past questions. Solve each question twice. Make sure you time yourself the second time. The major thing with calculation is speed.
9) How to prepare for JAMB English:
Whatever you do, don’t I repeat don’t, underestimate English Language. The thing with English is that there are several laws and it can get very confusing. For the English part, you will be tested on;
• Oral English: Make sure that you try your best to learn Oral English or phonetics. It’s very important. You never can tell, you might have a majority of your English questions being oral English.
• Registers: My opinion is that you work on all the registers you can find in each year of the English past question.
• Comprehension: The trick I use to solve comprehension questions is to;
Check out all the questions under the comprehension passage.
Read the passage the first time and check out the questions and the options.
Read the passage the second time and fish out the answers to each question.
Analyze each option before choosing an answer. Whatever option is closest to the sentence in the passage is what I pick.
• Storybook: Make sure you read the book recommendation by JAMB at least twice. You really have to read the book.
• Grammar: I recommend a book called Brighter Grammar. You should find it in any book stores around. It breaks down all the rules of grammar and even comprehension. You can go from having a poor background in English to speaking fluently with this book. Here’s a link to brighter grammar.
10) Create a study time table and stick to it:
You have got to create a reading time that fits into your school or work plan. It needs to be very convenient for you. Most students usually have a hard time creating a good study planner or table but I already wrote an article on it. You can check it out. How to create a good study planner that works for you
Sticking to the study time table is what is the hardest. My advise is that you remember the task ahead and keep working towards it.
My final thoughts
JAMB (UTME) to many people might seem like a very scary exam but if you follow this steps you will find yourself doing more in little time.
Studying is not just reading hard, it’s about taking smart steps. You don’t have to work too hard. All you have to do is work smartly and consistently.
The steps above are steps I have used and also prescribed to people and they always end up with awesome testimonies.
I really hope that you found the article very educative. I would love to know your thoughts. Also if you have any questions or if there is anything that is not clear to you, feel free to ask.