How to create a great study planner that works for you – 9 tips
Most times, a well planned approach is all you need to conquer the seemingly unconquerable courses. Study planners have been found to make things easier and more efficient. I personally think with a great study planner you can get the best out of the university without feeling too stressed
Why do you need a study planner anyways?
1) Energy and direction: Creating a very good study planner helps you put the right amount of energy in the right direction. Most times we spend so much energy working on the wrong things which at the end of the day do not improved our grades.
2) Optimize your day: A great study planner helps you get the best out of your day. It makes your day productive and also gives you a chance to have fun.
3) Proper preparation: like they say, proper preparation prevents poor performance. A great study planner generally improves your grade because you would always be well prepared for exams.
Things to consider while creating a great study planner
With all of these benefits, I bet you want to know how to create a study planner that works for you. Often times people make attempts to create study schedules but they end up not following or using it. Sometimes it is not even effective. With this tips however, you would be able to make study planners that are perfect for you as people vary.
1. Your study pattern:
This is way you prefer to study. Or your natural and most convenient way you study.
• Sleep vs reading time: When it comes to sleeping patterns people are different. We have the night owls and morning birds.
o The night owls are those who are more active at midnight say 9pm to 5 am. They can easily read within this periods and understand better.
o The morning birds can barely keep their eyes open at midnight. They are more active during day. Hence, it’s more advisable they read in the morning or at noon.
I didn’t realize this for a long time. I was always trying to cheat my sleeping pattern when I am clearly a morning bird. I study better during the day. Are you Night owl or a morning bird?
• Hours of study: You will need to consider how long you can read at a stretch.
Are you the restless type that needs to occasionally take breaks or can you sit in the same spot for hours without dozing off.
You will need this knowledge to determine what format your study planner will take. If you can spend longer, you can increase the hours of study for each course and vice versa.
• Study Area: Would you
o Read in silence
o Read with noise
This is essential to help you determine where your study can take place. That way you would be more productive.
2. Method of Understanding:
There are two major things to consider here.
• Understanding speed: How long does it take you to understand concepts. Are you fast or slow? This will also determine how many hours you would spend reading a course in total.
• Understanding technique: what technique helps you understand better
o Being lectured
o Reading on your own
o Getting a tutor
Method of understanding can be different from course to course. It is advisable to make a list of all the courses you offer and write down your understanding speed and understanding technique.
3. Analyze the courses:
Here, there are four important things to consider.
• Volume of course material: If the course material has a large volume, it should appear more in your study table. That way you can Finish studying it before the exams.
• Is it comprehensive?: If the course material is not comprehensive enough, you might want to get more materials to help you study better and faster.
• Nature of the lecturer:
o Does your lecturer give a lot of assignments or not? Some of the exam questions might be included in the assignments.
o Does your lecturer give extra notes or references? You might want to work more on that
o Does your lecturer refer to what kind or manner she wants the questions answered?
As much as you study the course, you also need to study the lecturer.
• Nature of the course: Is the course ;
o Theory: It means you will have to read more and write more essays.
o Calculation: You would have to do more exercises when studying.
4. Mediums of study:
This usually depends on the nature of the course or the mediums you find easier to use.
• Exercises: If it has a lot of calculation, you might want to study using this method.
• Sticky notes: you can use sticky notes to write down important phrases or sentences you don’t want to forget.
• Highlighters: You can highlight specific areas in your course material with different ink colors to sort them out.
• Group discussion: Engage your Friends or study partner in a discussion related to the topic at hand. That way you can share extra points with each other.
• Mental codes: You can link different subtopics with each other or different ideas with each other. It makes it hard to forget.
• Flash cards: you can make flash cards for revision.
Include this knowledge in your study planner. That way you easily know what method you want to use for each course and go for it.
5. Exam Format:
It’s very important that you analyze everything related to the exam. Especially when you are close to your exam periods.
• Exam time: you would want to study for the examinations that are closer first or more.
• Exam nature: your study method depends on what the exam looks like. Would it be Objectives/multiple choice or theory/essay or even German.
• Past questions: Some lecturers often repeat old questions while some don’t. It’s advisable to study the past questions trend.
6. Time table format:
Now that you know everything you need to put into consideration. It’s time to make the time table.
• Detailed or non detailed: Do you want to have a regular time table with just courses and reading time or do you want the more detailed one that contains everything above.
• Online or offline: your time table could be offline or online. There are several Free apps that are available for making awesome study planners.
A. School planner
B. Flash card- study memorize prepare for exams
C. Easy study- Your schedule, plan for school.
D. My study life- School planner
E. Student calendar- Remember tasks to do and timetable.
F. School- Ultimate study assistant.
Don’t make plans you can’t go through with. Sometimes we put too much workloads on ourselves and then we end up procrastinating and getting nothing done.
All these tips would be useless without discipline. To effectively use a study planner, you must make be ready to follow it.
There are always distractions so there’s a need to give room for distractions in your study planner. That way you have enough time to do your school work and also have fun.
I hope that you found this tips helpful. Good luck with getting your grades up. Don’t forget to leave your comment if you found this article helpful.
Also check out- 10 easy steps to crash reading and still getting good grades.